[ltp] WEP

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 15:12:39 -0400

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 01:42:41AM -0400, olusola omosebi wrote:
> If I enable WEP on the Acess Point (and configure it) I will be unable
> connect to the AP.  As soon as I disable all WEP settings everything works
> fine!?  If anyone knows why this is happening and/or has a fix for this
> please let me know.

If you enable WEP on the access point, you have to enable WEP on the
client as well.  How you do that precisely varies on the driver, but
most Linux wireless devices use the Linux wireless extenions, which
means that the iwconfig tool will work.  See the iwconfig man page for
more details.

A notable exception to this is the mini-PCI Cisco Aironet driver,
which uses the mpi350 driver.  It does *not* support the standard
Linux wireless tools interface, which means you have to use the Cisco
propietary GUI tools in order to set the WEP information on the
client.

						- Ted