[ltp] Re: self-made external battery for laptops project (Charles)

Bob Toxen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 10:47:50 -0400

On Mon, 19 May 2003 11:24:19 Charles wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2003 17:10:51 +0200
> Buchan Milne <bgmilne@cae.co.za> wrote:
>
> > >     3) Best to use with an auto adapter (extra $30+).
>
> > BTW, I asked IBM about an auto adapter, and thy quoted me approx $200
> > (plus $30 for associated cables) ... so I assume this is a non-IBM one?
>
> That's probably the Ebay price ($30-$40).  There's always someone selling
> Thinkpad auto/air adapters on Ebay.

No, $34 will get you a NEW 12V DC to 120V AC inverter at MicroCenter.
They also are available from MANY other outlets, such as Batteries Plus,
and, most likely, Radio Shack, other computer stores, camping supply stores,
and some large department stores in the computer or camping sections.
There's no advantage to paying IBM's, uh, impressive price.

Bob Toxen
Author,
"Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Detection, Prevention, and Recovery"
2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, (C) 2003, 848 pages, ISBN: 0130464562
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com