[ltp] T30: Return from Blank screen

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 00:16:30 +0530 (IST)

A while back there was a discussion about TPs (in my case a T30) sometimes
screenblanking, never to return.

I have, for several weeks now, followed a method that has had 100% success
rate for me to get the screen back without having to suspend/resume or
reboot cold:

If the screen blanks out, and does not return on a keypress, hit
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to a text console. You still won't see anything.

Now hit Fn-F3 to kill the screen, count off a second or two, then hit it
again. At this point, my T30 without fail will show me the expected text
console screen (usually the login prompt).

I now hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to X, where everything is well.

Like I said, it works 100% for me, but your mileage may vary. Haven't
tried this on any other TPs, but maybe those of you with other models and
facing this problem could try it and let us know how it works on your
models?

Cheerio!

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@exocore.com