[ltp] A31p hangs on unsuspend

Wade Hampton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:38:51 -0400

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 02:54:42AM -0400, Stan Pinte wrote:
>

>>More information:
>>
>>The screen is actually dead after resume...
>>
>>if someone ssh to my machine, then su and "init 5", the screen wakes up...
>>
>>would it be X's fault? XFree86-4.3.0-15
>>

>Possibly.  Try these things:
>
>1) Switch away from X (by using control-alt-F1) before suspending.

Good idea.  I'll try that.

>2) On the T40p, using XFree86 4.3, after XFree86 tries to turn off the
>screen, it isn't able to re-enable the screen.  However, the screen
>can be revived by typing control-alt-F1 (to switch away from X to the
>standard Linux console), then typing fn-F3 (to turn off the display),
>and then typing fn-F3 again (to turn the display again).

Sometimes, I've had to do this to get it to come back.
Note, my XFree86 version is RedHat 8.0's default,
version 4.2.0-72.

I'm glad I'm using ext3 as when I do have to reboot,
it comes back quickly.

Note, I NEVER had these problems with my Toshiba
720CT nor my Toshiba T8000.  Those I would suspend,
take home, unsuspend, use, suspend, take back to work,
repeat.... for months without rebooting....

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton