[ltp] A31p hangs on unsuspend

Wade Hampton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:43:34 -0400

Matthias Posseldt wrote:

>On Tuesday 20 May 2003 14:55, Stan Pinte wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 20 May 2003 09:48:53 -0400
>>
>>Wade Hampton <wade.hampton@nsc1.net> wrote:
>>

>>>G'day,
>>>
>>>I have an A31p with RedHat 8.  It runs well, but
>>>sometimes when I unsuspend, it hangs and I have
>>>to reboot it.  Any ideas?
>>>

>>hello Wade,
>>
>>no idea, but how did you managed to suspend? I have the same machine, and
>>installed SuSE 8.2 on it, but suspend doesn't work...
>>

>You should use APM instead of ACPI which is installed by default in SuSE 8.2.
>You may want to search the SDB for info on which boot parameters disable ACPI
>and enable APM.

In /etc/grub.conf, add acpi=off to the kernel line, e.g.:

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off

As for no keyboard or mouse after unsuspend, that's effectively
the same thing as a crash -- you can't access your computer
except remotely.  When showing my Windows-using friends
Linux, this does not go over well.  They used to be amaized that
I could go so long  between reboots on the laptop, now.....

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton