[ltp] Complete Backup (and restore)

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 11:46:09 +0100 (BST)

> > "Will a MS product be able to hold the TAR file".  It should, but within
> > it's file naming convention - ie 8.3. NFS to a Linux/UNIX machine will
> > keep the same file format.
>
> I ran across a problem copying a tar file over to a windows partition,
> it couldn't handle a file larger than 2 Gb.  Depending on your Linux
> filesystem, this may not be a problem.

tar is good because it preserves permissions, timestamps, long filenames
etc so that windows can't mangle them. But as you point out, Win (Fat32)
cat handle files > 2GB. My fix for this was originally to pipe the output
of tar to split.

Of course, a better fix is to reformat the windows disk with reiserfs :-)

Incidentally, you can easily back up the file via ssh using this:

tar cv -O <files to backup> 2> logfile | ssh user@dest_pc "cat > dest_file"

Best wishes

Richard