[ltp] Mandrake 9.1 on A22p - installation report

Buchan Milne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 13:16:03 +0200

Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Thanks for the comments.
> First from the technical side.
> 1. Yes you can change the login screen. Done it many times no problem.

So why are you griping?

> 2. Yes you can change the screen options from Redmont. That too is easy.

The default theme is not Redmond, but it does default to double-click in
KDE. Many ex-Windows users have problems wiht single-click, any previous
KDE user should find it trivial to change this, and you will only ever
have to do it once.

> 3. Yes you can log in as su or you can do a double log in no problem
unless
> you want to run root as a GUI which is sorta of required to rum Mandrake
> Control Pane.

????

Start->Configuration->Mandrake Control Center, it will prompt you for
your root password.

I have never needed to log into my Thinkpad as root in X, or my desktop
at home, only once on someone else's machine to resize their /home.

> Second the real issue
> If a group of alledged competant hackers don't know enough to know
correct
> login procedures then the question becomes what else did they screw up?

That's a very pessimisting outlook.

For a network deployment, you would customise the login manager anyway.
The default login manager is intended for casual use, and is simpler to
use than the default KDM.

Maybe you should consider that this was done intentionally as the
default to be more friendly for home users. It is just as configurable
as the original KDM (ie disable user icons etc etc etc).

BTW, Thinkpad users should note that tpb (Thinkpad Buttons) is in
contrib and should work out-the-box (log out, log in, and change your
volume, and it should be displayed on-screen for example). Also, I have
made thinkpad driver RPMs, and tpctl RPMs, which you can get here:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/9.1/thinkpad-2.4.21-0.13mdk-4.1-2mdk.i586.rpm
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/9.1/tpctl-4.3-1mdk.i586.rpm

While you're there, you may want some cursor themes:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/9.1/cursor_themes-0.0.2-2mdk.noarch.rpm
(Menu entry in Start->Configuration->Cursor Themes IIRC).

Note that I haven't made SMP or enterprise thinkpad drivers, since they
have now been integrated into the cooker kernel anyway. tpctl is also in
cooker now (I think in main).

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer.