[ltp] Mandrake 9.1 on A22p - installation report

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 08:58:17 -0400

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 07:48 pm, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Thanks for the comments.
> First from the technical side.
> 1. Yes you can change the login screen. Done it many times no problem.
> 2. Yes you can change the screen options from Redmont. That too is easy.
> 3. Yes you can log in as su or you can do a double log in no problem unless
> you want to run root as a GUI which is sorta of required to rum Mandrake
> Control Pane.

Why would you need to be root to run the control center? It runs fine as a
user, it just asks you for the root password. I believe if you set your msec
level too high you can run into some problem or other, xauth or some
silliness, but its not a big deal. For more secure machines you probably
don't want X at all anyhow (who really needs a 'paranoid' level
workstation...) in which case webmin does everything the MDK control center
does and often does it better.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain