[ltp] Contacting IBM with design feedback

Fri, 23 May 2003 00:51:05 +0100

Steve Barr wrote:
> Richard Neill wrote:
>
>> Yes - but this is very much technical feedback!
>

> Is it, or just personal preference?  I like the
> current button arrangement; it puts all three
> in an arc easily performed by a thumb without
> moving hand or other fingers any further.  YMMV.

Yes, but you can do that already. At the moment, I can press 4 buttons
with one thumb. (4th button = overlapping 1+3)

>> True - but it's a serious usability reduction.
>

> Laptops are a study in compromise -- the current
> button arrangement allows the touchpad to fit.

Those things are evil! IBM really should have the courage of it's
convictions and stick with the trackpoint.

I have played with HP's new laptop which uses both - and they've messed
up the trackpoint to the point that it's almost unusable - and the
buttons are too small/too stiff/in the wrong place.

Richard