[ltp] Contacting IBM with design feedback

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 12:58:34 -0400

Does anyone know how to give IBM design feedback on thinkpads? Where
should suggestions be emailed?

Go to the support main page and click on "Feedback".  You probably have to
choose the correct country first.   It takes a while, but believe me, that
stuff does filter down....

For instance:

*The A-series is missing the fold-out feet. These were really useful on
the 770, and it would be good to have them back. At the moment, I have
to use a stand to raise the keyboard angle.

*I see that the new A-series has a different layout of mouse buttons. I
think that this is a bad thing, because it makes it very hard to use it
like a proper (3 button and scroll) mouse. At the moment, one can use
button 2 to emulate a wheel, and get middle click by pressing buttons 1
and 3 simultaneously. But the new design makes this impossible, since
buttons 1,3 are no longer adjacent, and cannot be clicked
simulataneously by one finger.

For what it's worth, I also commented on the button layout change, I was
told it was so that we could have the "UltravNav" pointer, the one that is
dual TouchPad and TrackPoint.  That wasn't directly from one of the
hardware engineers, but it certainly made sense.   You can see the space
constraint on the products page, in the images.

Pam