[ltp] T30: Return from Blank screen

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
23 May 2003 11:22:52 -0700

--=-+uIi9JLJ0CZ/+IeSIVAE

I am using APM in SuSE 8.2 on a T40p.  If I blank the screen with Fn-F3,
then it doesn't want to come back on until I suspend (close the lid) and
bring it back.  However now that I am not using the 3D Radeon drivers, I
can suspend/resume without problems.

Val
http://pobox.com/~vgough/suse-t40p.html

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 10:18, Pam Huntley wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have got an A31p, SuSE 8.2, XFree86-server-4.3.0-15.
>
> --> I thus suspect a problem in the kernel... (mine is linux-2.4.20.SuSE)
>
> any idea?
>

> In SuSE 8.1, the kernel shipped with ACPI enabled.  However, the ACPI code
> in the 2.4 kernel does not really do suspend/resume, it's really only there
> so that systems that require ACPI will function.  I added "acpi=off" to the
> kernel boot line in menu.lst, and then I was able to use APM to suspend and
> resume.  I think there are still a few issues with APM and Linux, but at
> least it works most of the time...
>
> Pam

--=-+uIi9JLJ0CZ/+IeSIVAE

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
I am using APM in SuSE 8.2 on a T40p.&nbsp; If I blank the screen with Fn-F3, then it doesn't want to come back on until I suspend (close the lid) and bring it back.&nbsp; However now that I am not using the 3D Radeon drivers, I can suspend/resume without problems.<BR>
<BR>
Val<BR>
http://pobox.com/~vgough/suse-t40p.html<BR>
<BR>
I have got an A31p, SuSE 8.2, XFree86-server-4.3.0-15.

--&gt; I thus suspect a problem in the kernel... (mine is linux-2.4.20.SuSE)

any idea?

In SuSE 8.1, the kernel shipped with ACPI enabled.  However, the ACPI code
in the 2.4 kernel does not really do suspend/resume, it's really only there
so that systems that require ACPI will function.  I added &quot;acpi=off&quot; to the
kernel boot line in menu.lst, and then I was able to use APM to suspend and
resume.  I think there are still a few issues with APM and Linux, but at
least it works most of the time...

Pam</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>