[ltp] how to upgrade BIOS without a floppy reader?

Thomas Marquart linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 17:38:37 +0200 (METDST)

> how to upgrade BIOS without a floppy reader?
> anyone succeeded?
Yes, I recently upgrades the BIOS of my R40. I have no floppy either.
I used the windows-executable from IBM and ran it under WinXP :(

Without win-partition you could try to use a selfmade bootable CD
instead of the floppy, IIRC one has to make an "El Torito" boot image
which is nothing more than a floppy image and put it on the CD. gcombust
e.g. has a field where to put it.
But I never tried this, so I may be wrong.

BTW, I wrote down my experiences with Debian on my R40 here:
http://tom.uni-hd.de/thinkpad-r40.html

greetings
thomas
--
Hug me now, you mad, impetuous fool!!
	Oh wait...

(Signature generated automatically by fortune)
* thomas marquart * tom@uni-hd.de * http://tom.uni-hd.de *