[ltp] Contacting IBM with design feedback

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 13:23:15 -0400

On 22 May 2003 19:28, Steve Barr wrote:
> Richard Neill wrote:
> > Yes - but this is very much technical feedback!
>
> Is it, or just personal preference?  I like the
> current button arrangement; it puts all three
> in an arc easily performed by a thumb without
> moving hand or other fingers any further.  YMMV.
>
> > True - but it's a serious usability reduction.
>
> Laptops are a study in compromise -- the current
> button arrangement allows the touchpad to fit.

Ah, but the touchpad is *evil*. It's been one of the things I've
always loved about Thinkpads - no touchpad! (And three mousebuttons.)

One of my first laptops (non-IBM) had a touchpad, and I always hated
it with a passion. When typing, I'd always accidently hit it, and
suddenly I'd have marked something, moved the cursor or worse.

I'm hoping that IBM will see the light and get rid of the things.

/Björn