[ltp] Contacting IBM with design feedback

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 14:23:37 -0400

On 24 May 2003 10:46, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Bjorn Knutsson <bjorn@docs.uu.se> writes:
>
> > Ah, but the touchpad is *evil*. It's been one of the things I've
> > always loved about Thinkpads - no touchpad! (And three mousebuttons.)
> >
> > One of my first laptops (non-IBM) had a touchpad, and I always hated
> > it with a passion. When typing, I'd always accidently hit it, and
> > suddenly I'd have marked something, moved the cursor or worse.
> >
> > I'm hoping that IBM will see the light and get rid of the things.
>
> You can disable the touchpad in the BIOS (or by configuring gpm).
> Then touching it doesn't do anything.

It still makes the handrest-area smaller, causes the mousebutton
layout to be significantly less ergonomic and since I'm sure it's not
free, I end up paying for something that I definitely don't want and
can't get rid of. (That said, I don't use the modem either, but at
least I could imagine using it, and it's not causing me any problems.)

Can gpm be configured to disable the touchpad, but not the trackpoint,
and will this work under X as well?

/Björn