[ltp] Re: thinkpad t20 modem

Roberto Sanchez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 May 2003 19:14:09 +0200 (CEST)

 --- matt zagrabelny <z@saturnsys.com> escribió: > hello,

> i have a thinkpad t20 with debian installed on it. i am trying to get
> the modem working. heres my current situation:
>
> i have downloaded ltmodem sources from http://ltmodem.heby.de/ and
> compiled the modules. this step works, it is when the modules are
> installed is where the problem occurs.

Did you use the ./build_deb script or otherwise install them (the build
script would have generated another script that it told you to execute
to ensure the modules are autoloaded on boot, but I don't recall the name
of the script).

> the network and sound modules are not loaded when i try the following:
> (note: lt_modem loads correctly)
>
> zero:~# modprobe lt_serial
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/ltmodem/lt_serial.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/ltmodem/lt_serial.o: insmod lt_serial failed

What is the output of 'ls -l /dev/ttyLT*' ?

> zero:~#dmesg
> <snip>
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:03.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:03.1
> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> 00:03.0: 3Com PCI 3c556B Laptop Hurricane at 0x1800. Vers LK1.1.16
>
> output from lspci for video, audio, network, modem, and cardbus bridge
> report that all the above devices are sharing a pin and an IRQ
>
> zero:~#lspci -vv
> <snip>
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> <snip>
>
> this interrupt line is the same for all the afformentioned devices.
> how can all of these devices be sharing the same pin and IRQ? does this
> make sense to anyone?
>

>From my experience this is normal in laptops becuase of the way the connection
to the PCI bus is bridged.

> anyhow back to the problem at hand. i am rapidly running out of ideas to
> get the lt_serial module loaded correctly.
>
> anyone with any ideas please help.
>
> thanks,
> matt zagrabelny

-Roberto Sanchez