[ltp] R32 just poweroffs on long compiles

Stephan Herhut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 16:35:28 +0200

PSI-Systems wrote:

>>I am proud owner of my first ThinkPad, a R32 with 2Ghz P4. I am using
>>Gentoo Linux and a Kernel (2.4.21-rc2) with newest acpi patches and also
>>installed the newest bios. Whenever I am compiling large things, like
>>XFree, the fan goes up 2 times, then gets slow again and after a short
>>while my ThinkPad just powers down. I think it is due a heat problem.
>>Using Windows XP this does not happen. Has anyone a similar ThinkPad and
>>experienced this problem? It does also happen using a 2.4.20 apm Kernel
>>as most distros have.
>>

>I've a similar problem: my A31 switches CPU speed down to 1,2GHz. It seems
>that WinXP is overriding this behavior while linux doesn't. Even linux with
>no PowerManagement in the kernel and apm=off and acpi=off shows that
>behavior.
>
>Anyone who knows a solution?

Hi, my Thinkpad does so too, while running WinXP. I have not noticed it
first, as windows xp doesnt show. I installed the Intel SpeedStep tool
that checks the processor direct... (you must restart it to get an
updated view...)

It seems to be a bios function as the cooling is not sufficient for a
2ghz cpu. I think it is hard to understand, that ibm doesn't publish
anything about it. Even the technical support (haha) doesn't know:(

Stephan