[ltp] Microsoft MN-520 Wi-Fi & Redhat 9.0

Fri, 30 May 2003 22:04:35 +0000

The Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA Wi-Fi card (ebay $25.00 USD) is a snap to use. I'm
using it with the Microsoft MN-500 Wi-Fi wireless broadband router I bought on
ebay for $55.00 USD.

 All I had to do in Redhat 9.0 was:

 Login as root and follow these steps.

1. Add the following entries to /etc/pcmcia/config file right after the line
that reads "# Wireless network adapters". You can copy these 3 lines and paste
into the file:

    card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3"
    version "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"
    bind "orinoco_cs"

I rebooted the system and the card was then detected.

Then I started Mozilla web browser and vola!  I'm on the internet!! So easy it's
unbelievable and the Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA Wi-Fi card cost $25.00 USD!!

The best part is I still have my 3Com PCMCIA ethernet card (not attached to the
broadband router) in the system and Redhat 'knew' to use the Wi-Fi card!!

So simple I can't believe it! Microsoft may make some crummy software but this
card and base station (total $80.00 USD) can't be beat for simplicity in Linux.

Way to go Bill Gates!!

Brian