[ltp] T40p VMWARE +XP

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:03:54 +0100

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 17:01:31 -0700, Steve K wrote:

[...]

> The other big trick is that VMWare needs access to your boot partition,
> or you'll see some crazy "99 99 99 99 99" error from lilo.  To give
> vmware READ ONLY access to this partition, you need to manually edit the
>  extent description part of the winXPPro.vmdk file in your vm config's
> directory.  This is what mind looks like:
>
> # Extent description
> RW 63 FLAT "winXPPro-pt.vmdk" 0
> RW 14333697 FLAT "/dev/hda" 63
> RW 63 FLAT "winXPPro-pt.vmdk" 63
> RW 1012977 ZERO
> RW 63 FLAT "winXPPro-pt.vmdk" 126
> RDONLY 52693137 FLAT "/dev/hda" 15346863
> RW 63 FLAT "winXPPro-pt.vmdk" 189
> RW 3991617 ZERO
> RW 6108480 ZERO
>
> I hope this helps,
> -steve

Nice. Is the RDONLY status visible in the GUI after this change? I can
still see the partition as RW here.

I trashed my root partition 2 times because vmware booted the Linux
system per default (which was already running as the host OS) and
mounted the root file system a second time -> BOOM. I created a boot
floppy image, which I used in vmware after that. Just because the
VMWare folks deciced to dump the feature of read only physical
partitions, which seems quite braindead to me. But apperently, it's
only disappeared in the GUI.

Regards,
Tino