[ltp] X config

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:03:46 +0100

> I don't know if autodetection is possible, and I looked into this issue for
> a few hours.
>
> The simplest thing to do is just add a modeline for the external monitor
> into your XF86Config and switch resolutions on the fly with ctrl-alt +/-.
> About 1/2 of the time it comes up in the right resolution for the external
> monitor, and about half the time I have to cycle through a few modes or
> restart the xserver before it works right.  Again, I place the blame on my
> funky KVM switch, but it's a small, once-a-day type nuisance at worst.
>
> It would be nice if it auto-detected, though.

Just some thoughts without testing:

1. What if you put the higher resolution as first entry in XF86Config,
shouldn't it be ignored if you use the internal display?

2. How about creating two different XF86Config files and writing a
little script that probes the state of the external port
and creates a symlink to the appropriate XF86Config file depending on
the ports state?
Probing could be done with tpctl --sdc or something like that and a good
grepping of the output.
Shouldn't that work?

André.