[ltp] T30/T40 UltraBay HDD Hot-swapping?

Miller, Michael T. linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:31:17 -0500

I know this has been discussed on this list just a few times before, =
but...
=20
Has anybody had any success with hot-swapping hard drives on the =
UltraBay?
=20
So far, I can boot with a floppy, CD/RW, or hard drive, and hot-swap =
from any of those to a CD/RW or floppy, but never back to the hard =
drive.  In other words, hdparm -R never works for me with a hard drive.  =
The disk shows up under the /proc/ide directory, but once I try to =
access the device (fdisk, mount, etc), the command hangs, and eventually =
the machine locks up or I get a kernel panic.  I know the hardware =
supports hot-swapping, so what's missing, any suggestions for where to =
look, whom to talk to, what to dig into?
=20
To be fair, I haven't played with the T40 yet, but it's next on the =
list.

--=20
mike