[ltp] T40 - ethernet connection

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:45:43 -0800

>ps I raised this with IBM and here is the response :
>
>Running dual operating systems on an IBM Thinkpad is not supported and
>neither is Linux. Unfortunatly I cannot help you on the matter and you
>would need to search the web for any related information in regards to your
>problem.

WTF is this????

I can't believe IBM's two-facedness as far as Linux goes.

http://slashdot.org:80/article.pl?sid=99/09/14/1040235
<http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&context=HW170&q=Red+Hat+Linux+Thinkpad+600&uid=psg1MIGR-4BP6Q6&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en>
<http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&context=HW170&q=Red+Hat+Linux+Thinkpad+600&uid=psg1MIGR-48NT8D&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en>

This is evidence that, once upon a time, Linux was indeed supported
and encouraged on Thinkpads.  I suppose things have changed, that all
was under Gerstner's watch and we're now in the Palmisano era.

IBM is going to be a "Platinum Sponsor" of SCALE:

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/

...and I will bring them your email and ask them what IBM tech
support meant by that. If they are truly supportive of Linux instead
of just supporting Linux on the server side and still kissing up to
Microsoft on the desktop, this should provoke an interesting response.

The T40 *should* be a great Linux laptop. It has all the potential to
be. Too bad IBM doesn't think so, apparently.

-.\\<-H-