[ltp] graphics board for docking station - recommendations?

Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:04:52 +0100

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 20:53:23 +0100, André Wyrwa wrote:
> Hei,
>
> I'm going to buy a pci graphics card to put into the thinkpad dock ii
> and use for enabling multihead for my t23 under linux.
>
> Since I can still use the internal adapter as well, it doesn't need to
> have dualhead support on it's own, but it would be a nice gift since
> then i could even use 3 displays.
>
> So far I spotted three card types of interest:
>
> 1. Matrox G400/450 PCI
> 2. ATI Radeon 7000/7500/8000
> 3. NVidia GeForce 3/4
>
> Since I have a rotateable LCD display as external I'd like to have X
> screen rotation support and since there is no DRI support in the savage
> driver I'd also like to have that.

It was my impression that the RandR extension (introduced with XFree86
4.3.0) has the ability to do this. However, it has to be supported by
the driver. On my Radeon M6, it is not. The output of xrandr shows:

Rotations possible - normal

So, no rotation possible. If you run it on hardware where the driver
supports rotation, the xrandr output would look like this:

Rotations possible - normal left inverted right

Regards,
Tino