[ltp] Network connection and bootup

S. Anthony Sequeira linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 14:29:36 +0000

I am building a TP360e using LFS (www.linuxfromscratch.org)

I would like to know the strategies used (by distros or otherwise) to
handle bootup scripts when the laptop is connected to a network.

I run various daemons that I want available when I am connected to a LAN
(as opposed to my ISP via ppp - next issue).  Things like samba, ssh,
nfs.

I have thought about using another bootup script which starts and stops
the relevant daemons.  This script will go in start_fn and stop_fn in
/etc/pmcia/network.opts.  I had an abortive attempt at putting _all_
network daemon bootup scripts in this function, with pretty bad results.

Another thought I've had is to use start_fn to write a file, which the
network daemons use to on bootup/down.  This does not address the
hotplugging issue though.

Any ideas, thoughts, HOWTO's, examples most gratefully received.

Thanks
--
Tony