[ltp] T23 and broken speedstep?

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:46:32 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Julian Underwood wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> My apologies if this is already in the FAQ.  I have a T23 laptop which
> doesn't either step-up or step-down automatically when it is in use.
> Could someone point me towards some resources to either manually or
> automatically (preferred of course) speedstep?  On a side note I thought
> I'd install Fedora Core 1 to see if maybe something was updated to
> resolve this problem--but I have the same problem.  I am running Redhat
> 9 with Kernel version 2.4.20-8.  I am aware of the program cpqfreq, are
> there other alternatives?

My guess is - you'll have success with Fedora Core 1. It works for me
on T40.  However I had to do 'modprobe speedstep-centrino' to get the
correct module loaded. I believe the correct speedstep module for a
P-III is 'speedstep-ich'

once the modprobe is done - I could change states by using:

echo -n "0:600000:1600000:performance" > /proc/cpufreq
echo -n "0:600000:1600000:powersave" > /proc/cpufreq

With cpudyn - This is automated. I've obtained the rpm from
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/cpudyn/cpudyn-0.4.7-0.dag.src.rpm

There is some info regarding this support in the release notes at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

Satish