[ltp] Random Number Generator

Alexander Wirtz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:45:43 +0100

Hi folks,

I just activated the i810_rng module and installed the rng_tools (rngd)
out of curiosity. Switched it off rather quickly, because on my T23 it
ate ~50% of my CPU-time and I'm not doing intensive crypto-stuff.
Nevertheless I was wondering, why rngd demands that much from the CPU,
because it should only read out the thermal state from the firmware via
/dev/hwrandom and inject it in /dev/random, but as this device isn't
constantly in use (lsof helps here a lot) there's no need for rngd to be
that active.
So, has anyone tried the RNG on his/her system?

Regards,
Alex