[ltp] Fedora on Thinkpads

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:35:20 -0800

>BTW, I've looked a Knoppix for learning Linux and like the fact that
>you boot from the CD and it works with almost any of the filetypes
>out there (FAT32, NTFS and ext3).
>
>James McKenzie

Knoppix also works as an easier installer for Debian Linux than the
standard Debian text-mode installer. Since the Prodigy Installer
looks like it's MIA, and  Libranet is kind of pricy, Knoppix is the
non-'leet way to get Debian.

Knoppix 3.1 booted my Thinkpad 600E instantly, with only sound as a
problem. We might have gotten sound to work, I'm not 100% sure but
things look good. I tried to play an .OGG file but it sounded like
Max Headroom. I have to try a .WAV file and see what happens.

BTW, Win4Lin didn't work on the current Knoppix 3.2
install...apparently Knoppix uses a non-standard kernel. Because of a
piece of software I need to run for College I had to set up a dual
boot...<shudder>. For what it's worth, contrary to what the IBM site
says all systems are picked up 100% by Windows 2000. Everything
worked "out of the box." I updated to the newest version of IE6
before applying SP4 as the IBM site suggested:

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52068

Both "sides" of my dear little Blue Tomato are fully functional now.
I don't like having to put a Redmond OS on this machine but at least
Windows 2000 sucks less than most operating systems out of Microsoft.

-.\\<-H-