[ltp] SuSE 9 on T40

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:44:28 -0800

--=-cnWU+QT8zzWtYe4rrFvq

Hmm.   I upgraded from SuSE 8.2 to 9 last week on my T40p and am having
problems with it.

Under 8.2, I had no problems with suspend/resume with apm.  I could go
weeks without rebooting my laptop by just suspending it at night.   I
don't have any suspend partition on disk, so this was just suspend to
ram.

Under SuSE 9, the system hangs on resume almost every time (using APM
still - ACPI causes severe problems after ~20-30 minutes).  I've tried
switching out of X, removing most modules, use apm instead of the lid
switch or Fn-F4, but everything still leads to the system crashing on
resume.  Even worse is that twice for some reason the screen actually
came back on after resume and the keyboard worked, but then the IDE
interface was hosed in some way and I had streams of sector not found
errors being spewed to my log files. It was *very* slow to shut down --
about 30 minutes.  This testing has lead to a lot of hard reboots, and
fortunatly the reiserfs partition hasn't lost anything yet (and I've
been making backups just in case).

So I'm surprised that suspend works well for you.   Do you have any more
details about how you've setup your system?

regards,
Valient

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 12:32, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	Just thought I'd drop a note to say I'm running SuSE 9 on my T40p
> and it works quite well.  It autodetected everything, including the
> madwifi driver for the IBM a/b card (which it configured as wlan0 instead
> of ath0).  It defaulted to ACPI, which I had to disable in favor of APM
> (as suspend doesn't work).  But it includes /proq/cpufreq and a daemon
> called cpufreqd which is very customizable and controls the CPU speed
> effectively.  It also includes /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode.  It detected the
> ATI card successfully, though I had to pick a generic LCD display as the
> monitor.  DMA worked for the disk drive, and it detected the CD-RW/DVD
> combo drive with the appropriate capabilities.  I haven't fussed with the
> touchpad drivers as I prefer to use the eraser mouse.
>
> 	The only problems I've had have been with 3rd-party software that
> only works with Red Hat kernels (such as the Nortel Contivity VPN client).
>
> Aaron

--=-cnWU+QT8zzWtYe4rrFvq

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
Hmm.&nbsp;&nbsp; I upgraded from SuSE 8.2 to 9 last week on my T40p and am having problems with it.<BR>
<BR>
Under 8.2, I had no problems with suspend/resume with apm.&nbsp; I could go weeks without rebooting my laptop by just suspending it at night.&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't have any suspend partition on disk, so this was just suspend to ram.<BR>
<BR>
Under SuSE 9, the system hangs on resume almost every time (using APM still - ACPI causes severe problems after ~20-30 minutes).&nbsp; I've tried switching out of X, removing most modules, use apm instead of the lid switch or Fn-F4, but everything still leads to the system crashing on resume.&nbsp; Even worse is that twice for some reason the screen actually came back on after resume and the keyboard worked, but then the IDE interface was hosed in some way and I had streams of sector not found errors being spewed to my log files. It was *very* slow to shut down -- about 30 minutes.&nbsp; This testing has lead to a lot of hard reboots, and fortunatly the reiserfs partition hasn't lost anything yet (and I've been making backups just in case).<BR>
<BR>
So I'm surprised that suspend works well for you.&nbsp;&nbsp; Do you have any more details about how you've setup your system?<BR>
<BR>
regards,<BR>
Valient<BR>
<BR>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#68151e"><I>	Just thought I'd drop a note to say I'm running SuSE 9 on my T40p
and it works quite well.  It autodetected everything, including the
madwifi driver for the IBM a/b card (which it configured as wlan0 instead
of ath0).  It defaulted to ACPI, which I had to disable in favor of APM
(as suspend doesn't work).  But it includes /proq/cpufreq and a daemon
called cpufreqd which is very customizable and controls the CPU speed
effectively.  It also includes /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode.  It detected the
ATI card successfully, though I had to pick a generic LCD display as the
monitor.  DMA worked for the disk drive, and it detected the CD-RW/DVD
combo drive with the appropriate capabilities.  I haven't fussed with the
touchpad drivers as I prefer to use the eraser mouse.

	The only problems I've had have been with 3rd-party software that
only works with Red Hat kernels (such as the Nortel Contivity VPN client).

Aaron</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>