[ltp] Fedora on Thinkpads

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:39:37 +0100

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:33:53 -0800, Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:

> >> Knoppix also works as an easier installer for Debian Linux than the
> >> standard Debian text-mode installer. Since the Prodigy Installer
> >
> >Knoppix is not a Debian installer. If you use it, you don't have a
> >Debian system, but a Knoppix system. It is based on Debian, but
> >contains a lot of packages which are not present in the official Debian
> >(e.g. KDE, XFree86 any many more). If you install some updates from the
> >official Debian mirrors, you end up with a system which is neither a
> >Debian nor a Knoppix.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Tino
> >--
>
> It might not be 100% Debian Pure, but the Knoppix disk install
> certainly works for me. Also, apt-get is seamless...the German
> sources get me anything I want without dependency hell.
>
> Christ, I don't know why Debianistas are so fsckn fanatical...not
> only do they call it GNU/Linux, they don't believe that anything
> other than the officially installed Debian *is* Debian. Let me guess,
> you don't think that Libranet is Debian either? :(
>
> Bloody fanatics...

I don't think so. I just think that the good things in Debian are lost
if you use a mixed Knoppix-Debian-System, compared to a Debian stable
installation: clean package management, bug tracking system, security
updates etc. I like knoppix very much, and I appreciate Mr. Knoppers
work. But IMHO it's not designed to be installed on your hard disk to
get a stable, secure, up to date system which does it's job for the
next five years. Most people forget this, I just want to bring this up.

And yes, of course I think that Libranet is not Debian, but it's Debian
based. :-)