[ltp] Dual-headed R40?

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:52:42 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Vivek wrote:
(snip)
> Hmm, Ok, I was hoping there was a BIOS option for LCD/External/Both, that
> sort of thing: ISTR my laptop has those, but it is a different model.

Oh, I'm sorry, you're right - it's normally set to Both. If I set it to
LCD or whatever it calls External, then I really do seem to lose the
ability to use both.

> If you bring the laptop up single user with the external display
> attached, does the console turn up on the LCD, the external display,
> or both?

Both, right from the BIOS splash screen on to the root shell prompt.

> Is there anything in your XFree86.0.log that might be relevant?

With the CRT attached at boot time, to try dual-headed or LCD-only
operation, I get:

(EE) RADEON(0): No valid mode found for this DFP/LCD

Interestingly, in that case, for the LCD-only operation, it then pops up X
on the CRT with the resolution, etc. with the resolution as if that
ServerLayout had said Screen "SVGA Screen" instead of the Screen "LCD
Screen" as it really is, and as happens if I boot without the CRT attached
(in which case I don't get that "No valid mode found" error at all
anyway).

But, now I look more closely at the XFree86.0.log, I see something
interesting. In my XF80Config-4 I have:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "LCD Video Card"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "SVGA Video Card"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "LCD Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-60
        VertRefresh     50-75
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "SVGA Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-95
        VertRefresh     50-160
        Option          "DPMS"
        Option          "CRTScreen"
EndSection

Now, in XFree86.0.log, in the non-working situation, one gets:

(II) RADEON(0): Panel Size from BIOS: 1024x768
(now that is correct, it is a 1024x768 LCD screen)
(II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: CTX  Model: 3700  Serial#: 0
(argh, CTX is the manufacturer of the CRT!)
(II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@60Hz
(II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@70Hz
(II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@75Hz
(WW) RADEON(0): Mode 1024x768 is out of range.
Valid mode should be between 640x480-640x480
(II) RADEON(1): Manufacturer: CTX  Model: 3700  Serial#: 0
(huh? that's what it said for screen 0)

Maybe I need to be somehow better at getting screen 0 to be the LCD one?
It doesn't help that I'm having trouble finding good XFree86 information
on Option stuff - the main available documentation seems to be other
people's XF86Config files.

-- Mark