[ltp] Dual-headed R40?

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:07:09 +0100

> Now, in XFree86.0.log, in the non-working situation, one gets:
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Panel Size from BIOS: 1024x768
> (now that is correct, it is a 1024x768 LCD screen)
> (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: CTX  Model: 3700  Serial#: 0
> (argh, CTX is the manufacturer of the CRT!)
> (II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@60Hz
> (II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@70Hz
> (II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@75Hz
> (WW) RADEON(0): Mode 1024x768 is out of range.
> Valid mode should be between 640x480-640x480
> (II) RADEON(1): Manufacturer: CTX  Model: 3700  Serial#: 0
> (huh? that's what it said for screen 0)
>
> Maybe I need to be somehow better at getting screen 0 to be the LCD one?
> It doesn't help that I'm having trouble finding good XFree86 information
> on Option stuff - the main available documentation seems to be other
> people's XF86Config files.

Just a guess:

Try configuring your external display as primary. (select your SVGA
Monitor to be driven by the Device that has the Screen 0 entry - easiest
should be just to switch the numbers for the screen entries)

Someone else was having similar problems. The X output suggests to me
that X automatically associates RADEON(0) with the external screen and
then gets the first problem because the Monitor section you associated
with RADEON(0) doesn't match the specs of the Monitor connected there.

Second problem occurs when X reads your config for RADEON(1) which again
associates the external port with it. But that's already in use.

So what you might need to do is to give it a correct Monitor definition
for the external display and associate that with the Device that has the
Screen 0 entry and then associate the Monitor definition for the
internal display with the Device section that holds the Screen 1 entry.

This is really just a guess, I have a T23, and so can't test anything of
that, but this is the most logical explanation that comes to my mind,
even though its the opposite from what it should be like (internal
should of course be primary)

Andre.