[ltp] Re: My Wireless Experiences with a T41

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:21:29 +0100

--------------enig85F03CE638955EE840C7055D

--------------080204080308080901050102

On 11/13/2003 08:51 PM, honey@gneek.com wrote:

> [...]
>
>Sean, can I ask if this is in Ad-Hoc mode or Managed?  I've tried
>endlessly to get my Aironet 350 miniPCI working with the Fedora
>2.4.22 kernel and given up: in Ad-Hoc mode (WEP on).  Works fine in
>managed.  I think Fabrice alluded to the fact that he knows Ad-Hoc is
>broken just now: although it worked fine on my custom 2.4.21 kernel
>in Red Hat 9.

I'm running Fedora Core 1 with a 2.4.22 kernel (not the fedora kernel)
on an R40 and with Fabrice's driver the Ad-Hoc mode *doesn't* work: for
one, it won't accept an ESSID (iwconfig eth1 essid xxxxx seems to be a NOP).

>I hope I'm not misunderstanding the problem, because it's driving me
>mad.  I've tried the (nasty) Cisco driver instead, and can't get
>either to work: acu sometimes crashes, bcard sometimes hangs the OS,
>the addition of a WEP key via the acu utility again doesn't work.
>All this worked ok with 2.4.21-ac1/RH9.

the cisco driver works with a plain vanilla 2.4.22 kernel.

>Has anyone actually got the Cisco 350 miniPCI working with the stock
>fedora kernel in Ad-Hoc mode?  I don't think I have a choice as I
>don't have an access point, just a linux firewall/router with another
>802.11b card in: I assume I can't run Managed in this environment(?).

that seems to depend on the wireless card: in my case it's not possible,
since my linux firewall/router is the R40 with the cisco mpi in it...if
that were a Prism based WLAN card instead, it seems that than you could
switch that to AP mode....

--
Dr Dirk Husemann, Mobile Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
	hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Attached to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, www.gnupg.org
is a good starting point.

--------------080204080308080901050102

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
On 11/13/2003 08:51 PM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:honey@gneek.com">honey@gneek.com</a> wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0311131947100.6584-100000@jug.crockery">[...]
  <pre wrap="">
Sean, can I ask if this is in Ad-Hoc mode or Managed?  I've tried
endlessly to get my Aironet 350 miniPCI working with the Fedora
2.4.22 kernel and given up: in Ad-Hoc mode (WEP on).  Works fine in
managed.  I think Fabrice alluded to the fact that he knows Ad-Hoc is
broken just now: although it worked fine on my custom 2.4.21 kernel
in Red Hat 9.
  </pre>
I'm running Fedora Core 1 with a 2.4.22 kernel (not the fedora kernel)
on an R40 and with Fabrice's driver the Ad-Hoc mode <b>doesn't</b>
work: for one, it won't accept an ESSID (iwconfig eth1 essid xxxxx
seems to be a NOP).<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0311131947100.6584-100000@jug.crockery">
  <pre wrap="">
I hope I'm not misunderstanding the problem, because it's driving me
mad.  I've tried the (nasty) Cisco driver instead, and can't get
either to work: acu sometimes crashes, bcard sometimes hangs the OS,
the addition of a WEP key via the acu utility again doesn't work.
All this worked ok with 2.4.21-ac1/RH9.
  </pre>
the cisco driver works with a plain vanilla 2.4.22 kernel.<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0311131947100.6584-100000@jug.crockery">
  <pre wrap="">
Has anyone actually got the Cisco 350 miniPCI working with the stock
fedora kernel in Ad-Hoc mode?  I don't think I have a choice as I
don't have an access point, just a linux firewall/router with another
802.11b card in: I assume I can't run Managed in this environment(?).

  </pre>
that seems to depend on the wireless card: in my case it's not
possible, since my linux firewall/router is the R40 with the cisco mpi
in it...if that were a Prism based WLAN card instead, it seems that
than you could switch that to AP mode....<br>
<pre cols="72" class="moz-signature">--
Dr Dirk Husemann, Mobile Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
	<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:hud@zurich.ibm.com">hud@zurich.ibm.com</a> --- <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/">http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/</a>
       PGP key: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/contact-pgp.html">http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/contact-pgp.html</a>
  PGP Fingerprint: 983C 48E7 0A78 A313 401C  C4AD 3C0A 278E 6431 A149
	     Email only authentic if signed with PGP key.

Attached to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.gnupg.org">www.gnupg.org</a>
is a good starting point.</pre>