[ltp] Dual boot

Carl Nygard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
14 Nov 2003 22:55:35 -0500

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 21:55, Adam wrote:
> Friday, November 14, 2003, 9:23:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> > An awful lot, I'm sure, though the numbers are diminishing along with
> > Red Hat Linux.  I have Windows XP, Red Hat 9, and slackware 9.1.  I
> > haven't touched Red Hat for months though, and I rarely use XP.
>
> > Joel
>
> > Adam wrote:
> >> How many people run Rat Hat 9, and Windows XP on their system?
> >>

> According to different sources I read, they were saying you seemed to
> need a Partition Magic program to accomplish the task. Is this
> required?  What I read was too vague. Do you need to spend $70
> American to get things set up right, leaving two OSs on one drive?

That's the easiest, although there are tricks.  If you haven't booted
yet, you can boot from a floppy/rescue/knoppix/SuSE-trial and remove a
secret program which converts FAT->NTFS.  Once that's done,
repartitioning using installer isn't hard (google for it).

I've heard knoppix has NTFS repartitioning in it's installer, and I
think I just read that Mandrake 9.2 has NTFS repartitioning as well.

Ultimately, I used Partition Magic, because it was easiest at the time.

--
Carl Nygard <cjnygard@fast.net>