[ltp] Dual boot

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:54:58 -0800

At 06:55 PM 11/14/2003, Adam wrote:

>Friday, November 14, 2003, 9:23:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> > An awful lot, I'm sure, though the numbers are diminishing along with
> > Red Hat Linux.  I have Windows XP, Red Hat 9, and slackware 9.1.  I
> > haven't touched Red Hat for months though, and I rarely use XP.
>
> > Joel
>
> > Adam wrote:
> >> How many people run Rat Hat 9, and Windows XP on their system?
> >>

>According to different sources I read, they were saying you seemed to
>need a Partition Magic program to accomplish the task. Is this
>required?  What I read was too vague. Do you need to spend $70
>American to get things set up right, leaving two OSs on one drive?

You could spend days reading about this.  Windows NT and successors have
always allowed you to leave space for installing linux, so repartitioning
tools are needed only to modify an existing installation.  Most linux
distros come now with ntfsresize, or some variant, which allow you to
perform basic Windows partition shrinks, within limits.  I'm getting up the
courage to install SuSE 9 beyond XP on my current tp, after going for 2
years with 2K/SuSE 7.3 on t20.  I get enough of red hat on the job.  I
doubt you could get a realistic count of how many people run any particular
combination.

Tim Prince