[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Ross Burton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:42:44 +0000

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 13:35, Dennis D. Jensen wrote:
> Why not just shutdown and boot again when needed? It
> doesn't take _that_ long, unless of course you run a
> fashionable GUI Desktop (I don't).

Suspending and unsuspending takes about 4 seconds, shutting down and
rebooting takes a lot more than that.  With suspend I can shut the case
of my laptop when the train pulls into a station, and throw it in my
bag.  When I get back on the train/in the office/whatever, I just open
the case and by the time I've got my hands on the keyboard, everything
is exactly as it was.

In a serious working session I often have 6 terminals, xemacs with ~20
files open, an email client, a web browser with several documents open
and probably a few PS or PDF files open.  Restoring that *does* take
time.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com