[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:32:43 -0500

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:35:23 -0800 (PST)
"Dennis D. Jensen" <dendecjen@yahoo.dk> wrote:

> Why not just shutdown and boot again when needed? It
> doesn't take _that_ long, unless of course you run a
> fashionable GUI Desktop (I don't).

It simply takes too long to start up, load the documents I'll need for
the day, etc.  I teach chemistry, and I use my Thinkpad for
demonstrations/presentatinns, course documents, rolls, internet
access/email, etc.  When I open the notebook, I want all my stuff
available - immediately.  Students are waiting!

With suspend-to-RAM, you pick up immediately where you left off, no
waiting for your application to load, for the OS to boot, etc.

With suspend-to-disk (hibernation), it takes a little bit to boot up, but
you have all your applications loaded, running and ready to go.

I almost never just shut my Thinkpad down.  What's the point?

> What are the advantages? Under what circumstances will
> they prove useful or perhaps even necessary? Do they
> save power or something like that? Nay! How can they
> compared to shutting down of powering off!?

Think of all the power you're not using to start up sevices, etc. each
time you boot. :)

> Disadvantages?

There are only disadvantages if suspend/hibernate don't work. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/