[ltp] PC to PC phone calls with the t40

Steve K linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:53:31 -0800

Hey folks --

I am going to be working remotely for a while and I am looking into my
options for making PC-to-PC "calls" over the internet on my t40.  Two
questions:

I would like to get a headset of some kind.  What works well with the
t40?  Would a bluetooth headset work well?

There is a dizzying array of software projects that provide the
voice-over-IP functionality, but none of them seem particularly easy to
setup and use.  Some candidates are:

- Speak Freely (http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/)
     The main developer of this one seems to be abandoning the project
     in 2004.
- Gone-o-Phone (http://gphone.sourceforge.net/)
     The last release of this was over a year ago
- OpenH323 (http://www.openh323.org/)
     Not sure if this is actual software to make calls or just
     a codec...

I am looking for something easy to use that works cross platform
(linux/windows/os x).  Does anyone have any suggestions?

cheers,
-steve