[ltp] Orinoco card works in TP 240, but not ThinkPad 600E

Asheesh Laroia linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:47:05 -0500 (EST)

I have an orinoco_cs compatible card (Dell TrueMobile 1150) working just
fine in my own ThinkPad 240.  A suitemate bought a ThinkPad 600E, and I
figured I'd lend him the card.

My 240 uses the yenta_socket and ds modules to get PCMCIA support; so does
the 600E.  When I put the card into the 240, it loads orinoco_cs just
fine.  Seeing that it works, I then rmmod'd orinoco_cs, and I got this
information:

	napoleon:~# cardctl config
	Socket 0:
	  Vcc 5.0V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp2 0.0V

	napoleon:~# cardctl status
	Socket 0:
	  5V 16-bit PC Card
	  function 0: [ready]

	napoleon:~# cardctl ident
	Socket 0:
	  product info: "Dell", "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card", "Version 01.01", ""
	  manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
	  function: 6 (network)

Meanwhile, on the 600E, when I modprobe yenta_socket, I get:

	renee:~# modprobe yenta_socket
	PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:02:0
	PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:02:1
	Yenta IRQ list 04b8, PCI irq11
	Socket status: 30000010
	Yenta IRQ list 04b8, PCI irq11
	Socket status: 30000006

'modprobe ds' goes off without a hitch, so I do the cardctl tests again:

	renee:~# cardctl config
	Socket 0:
	  Vcc 5.0V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp2 0.0V
	Socket 1:
	  not configured

	renee:~# cardctl status
	Socket 0:
	  5V 16-bit PC Card
	  function 0: [ready]
	Socket 1:
	  not configured

	renee:~# cardctl ident
	Socket 0:
	cs: warning: no high memory space available!
	cs: unable to map card memory!
	cs: unable to map card memory!
	  no product info available
	cs: unable to map card memory!
	cs: unable to map card memory!
	cs: unable to map card memory!
	cs: unable to map card memory!
	Socket 1:
	  no product info available

When I 'modprobe orinoco_cs', the driver doesn't detect the card.  Note
that I synchronized both systems on the 2.4.22-pre6-ac1 kernel to get this
data, but I get back the same results when renee (TP600E) is running
Debian's stock 2.4.18-686.

So, has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a known workaround or fix?

Thanks sincerely,

Asheesh Laroia.