[ltp] cd-rw for tp770z

R. G. Kenedy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:37:59 -0800

>I was thinking burner for my Z also, but after dissassembling the CD drive
>module and discovering there was no internal connector, just a ribbon cable
>I gave up on the project.

I just went through part of the same exercise: tried to get the raw drive (Sanyo
CRD-S372VDB) out of the caddy, could not actually separate them. Got the bottom metal
plate off enough to see that, like you note, no 50-pin ATAPI connector in sight, and
instead a flat cable running into the back of the raw drive.

Two questions:

1) how did you successfully separate the raw drive from the caddy? I removed four screws
(2 on each side, both black on the right, one black one silver on the left)...but that
did not seem to be enough!

2) it is hard to believe IBM would have Toshiba, Matsushita and Sanyo all specially make
drives that do NOT have an ATAPI connector...by default, they all DO! Even the slim
ones--e.g.

  http://sdd.toshiba.com/cda/main.aspx?Path=/818200000092000000010000659c000002bb

...so perhaps the ribbon cable goes into the raw drive, but inside it terminates in a
50-pin connnector which connects to the corresponding 50-pin connector on the drive
logic board?
Have you chased it that far? SURE WOULD BE NICE!