[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
21 Nov 2003 08:26:13 -0600

+---------- On Nov 20, Robert Hajime Lanning said:
| I don't use those kernels.  Stay off the kernel of the week.  Watch for
| which kernel is stable.
|
| I am currently using 2.4.21.  no corruption issues.

How do you know? Sometimes the bug is not found until long after the
kernel is released. I experienced such a bug in 2.4.18 (on a server, not
my Thinkpad) that wasn't discovered and fixed (AFAIK) until six months
after 2.4.20 was released, more than a year after 2.4.18 was released.
The bug may have existed in earlier kernels too.

(This bug: <http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0304.0/0918.html>)