[ltp] Restore WinXP MBR?

Dennis D. Jensen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:31:17 -0800 (PST)

--- Jordan Benjamin <jordanb@caltech.edu> wrote:
> has anyone tried to dual boot linux and Windows
> using grub as the first
> bootloader? I.e., grub is installed in the MBR and
> ntldr is only in the
> Windows partition? All the dual boot howtos I've
> seen say you have to
> have ntldr go first, which is OK but annoying.

A few weeks ago I had to install win2k on my box
because of some client program not available on
gnu/linux. There was no problem. After win2k
installation I booted one of my gnu/linux cds and
reinstalled grub in the mbr.

When I boot win2k I just follow the grub example:

rootnoverify (hd0,2)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

Any stories about windows needing control over your
mbr in order to work is a myth. As long as you can
boot any kind of gnu/linux, you're on safe ground.

--
Dennis Decker Jensen