[ltp] Creating Hibernation file

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:25:45 -0500

On 22 Nov 2003 12:56, Syd Hancock wrote:
> I have a T23. I used to have a fat16 (or maybe fat32) dos partition
> (no windows installed) in which I created a hibernation file using
> the utility from the IBM website. This worked partially but there
> was always corruption of the screen in virtual terminals
> (Ctrl-Alt-Fn key) and it didn't work too well with KDE etc - e.g.
> always logged out automatically.

Interesting. I too have a T23, and I've never experienced either. My
one complaint is that I need to run xrefresh after I return, because
the X background color is not correctly restored after I return.

> Recently I restored XP and lost the hibernation file. I then
> experimented a bit.
>
> I reduced the size of the XP partition by half a gig (using the disk
> partitioning tool on a mandrake 9.1 install CD). I did not create a
> partition in the new space which was after the XP partition
> (/dev/hda1) and before the mandrake partitions (/dev/hda5, 6 and
> 7).
>
> I then booted from the hibernation-creation floppy and tried the
> 'create hibernation partition' option and off it went. There seemed
> to be no way to choose a partition to use and I was getting ready
> to see my XP and/or linux partitions disappear but in fact it had
> recognised the unused space in the middle of the drive>

I have no doubts the utility works, but I'm surprised to hear that you
got the hibernation partition trick working. I tried it with no luck,
and gave up quickly. I guess it could be dependent on where on the
disk you put it - is yours within the first 1024 cylinders? It could
be something like that that made IBM recommend that you did not use
it.

> Since then, both sleep and hibernation work much better with no
> screen corruption at all. Nor am I logged out of KDE. In fact it
> works just as I had always assumed it would - all open apps are
> restored to the state they were in before sleep/hibernation.
> Sometimes it is necessary to restart sound or the network but
> that's not a problem.

All the stuff you list is how it should work, and indeed how its
always worked for me. Sometimes you need to massage your drivers a
bit, but nothing like what you describe. (E.g., on my 600X I needed to
eject (software) some PCMCIA-cards, or suspension would not work.)

> All usual disclaimers apply but it worked for me.
>
> One question - sleep and hibernation only work if AC is
> disconnected. Is this usual? Obviously it can be argued that if the
> AC is connected then no form of suspend is necessary.

Ah, sounds like drivers blocking you. This was exactly the situation
on my 600X - it would not suspend when on AC unless I ejected my
PCMCIA network card, and here apmd is your friend.

/Björn