[ltp] automatic network probing

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:43:16 -0500

[root@snake tharter]#arping -I eth0 192.168.168.10
ARPING 192.168.168.10 from 192.168.168.102 eth0
Unicast reply from 192.168.168.10 [00:80:C8:E8:4D:DA]  0.951ms
Unicast reply from 192.168.168.10 [00:80:C8:E8:4D:DA]  0.647ms
Unicast reply from 192.168.168.10 [00:80:C8:E8:4D:DA]  0.638ms
Unicast reply from 192.168.168.10 [00:80:C8:E8:4D:DA]  0.648ms
Sent 4 probes (1 broadcast(s))
Received 4 response(s)

which as you can see provides the MAC address of the pinged machine. Given=
=20
that ARP is a network layer protocol you should be able to do an arping=20
BEFORE you bring up IP on the interface. So basically one would construct a=
=20
network initialization script which did an arping to a known address, check=
=20
the expected MAC address to see which network you're on, and set everything=
=20
else up accordingly.=20

Of course I am not saying all this hackery is necessarily EASY to accomplis=
h,=20
but in theory it shouldn't be all that hard and it aught to be quite robust=
=2E=20
The impact on the network will be miniscule as well, you're just sending ou=
t=20
an ordinary ARP request, which your system would have to do anyway.=20

=2D-=20
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain
http://www.giantelectronicbrain.com