[ltp] A31: ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility Performance

Grigory Batalov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:28:07 +0300

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:36:12 -0800
Mike_Phillips@URSCorp.com wrote:

> > > gears -  960 fps in window, 150 fps fullscreen
> > > reflect - 60 fps in window,  15 fps fullscreen
>
> Those figures look about right, I've got the 7500 in the T30 running @
> 1400x1050 and it comparable.
>
> Many things can affect the speed of any application running in GL. With
> reflect is the CPU maxed ? It shouldn't be if you want the highest
> performance from the graphics card. (It's also an easy way to tell if
> software GL is being used, the CPU load for X will go way up)

  You are right, CPU is maxed with reflect, while gears uses ~30%.
  But I got some improvement when upgraded to XFree86-4.3.0 =).
  Now I have:

gears -  1050 fps in window, 160 fps fullscreen
reflect - 198 fps in window,  38 fps fullscreen

  (Processor is Pentium 4-M 1.4 GHz)

  As it seems to be software GL (with reflect at least),
  now I have to investigate why so.