[ltp] Switching Between Networks

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:04:10 -0600

----- Original Message -----
To: <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 1:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ltp] Switching Between Networks

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 26. November 2003 05:13 schrieb Rob Smith:
>
> > It is supposed to be quite comprehensive. When I looked at it though, I
had
> > more questions than answers. I am hoping to find a HOW-TO on setting
this
> > up. Unfortunately, SuSe's site has not been too great a resource in this
> > regard.
>
> "Hartmut Meyer" <hartmut.meyer@web.de> replied:
>
> Have you read the scpm chapter in the green Administration Guide?
>

> Greetings from Bremen
> hartmut
>
> --

Yes, I have read both the pertinent information from the Administration
Guide, and also the documentation found under "/usr/share/doc/package/scpm"
on the machine. As I said, I walked away with more questions than answers.
Below, I've listed some questions.

The Admin Guide refers to "pre-configured resource sets". Does this mean
like Home, Work, and Away sets, or are they referring to sets as in Network,
Graphics, Keyboard/Mouse, etc?

There is mention in the Administration Guide that there are differences
between the YaST version of SCPM and the command line version, but they do
not list any of those differences. For a Linux newbie such as myself, which
should I turn to? Does one or the other leave important information out? Is
one way lead to a more stable platform than the other?

When setting up the different profiles, do I need to be attached to the
network whose profile I am configuring? Can I do the configuration for the
two networks while not attached to either (like at my kitchen table)?

They speak of enabling and disabling SCPM, but there is no mention of when
this should be done. Should I disable the Work profile and enable the home
profile before I shut down my machine for the day at work, or after I arrive
at home and boot up. Does it make a difference? My experience with that
other OS tells me that pulling NIC cables before shutdown only prolongs the
event, as Windoze tries to broadcast over a service that is no longer
connected, and then waits until it times out. Does this hold true for Linux?

The Admin Guide mentions that SCPM cannot survive a System Update. That in
itself strikes me as bizarre, but if so,can the settings be backed up?

Well, that's a few of the questions that came up while reading. I'm sure
there were more, but I can't think of them at the moment. Thanks for the
reply, BTW.

>From Cary, IL (USA) with thanks,

Rob Smith