[ltp] Wireless on T40 or T41p

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:37:16 -0600

Hi,

Linuxant (www.linuxant.com) has developed a driver wrapper that permits
the Intel centrino card to be used with linux. I have been using the
wrapper for about a month now on my T40 and the latest version is
working well. I cannot say how the performance stacks up against
alternatives but the Linksys pcmcia card I was using has been retired.
As for Linuxant, there is a free trial of the driver wrapper, but the
permanent license is $20.

Since you have a choice, specifying the Cisco card might make sense. It
is a shame that Intel has not released source code or even binary
drivers. You might also write their marketing drones and telling tell
you are buying a little less 'Intel inside' because they do not support
linux.

IBM is certainly not blameless here - if IBM really cared about linux on
their non-server hardware, Intel would care IMHO.

Michael Cole