[ltp] ALSA drivers on 600E

manaen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:46:00 -1000

Mauro Maroni wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have installed the ALSA drivers (0.9.8) on my 600E. The module cs46xx
> does not work as far as I know, but I could make the card work with a
> proper modules.conf configuration using the CS4239 module. Anyways, after loading all the
> stuff from modules.conf when the machine is booting, it tries and retries to
> load the cs46xx module as well (not sure why, looks like is detecting that the card is a
> CS4610 and try to load that module automatically) generating a lot of ugly
> messages on the console. I am running Slackware 9.1 + 2.4.22.
>
> Anyone has experienced this and/or knows how to fix it? (basically, to
> avoid the cs46xx loading)
>
> Thanks,
> Mauro

Here's what I know I have fought this battle in debian often and am now
fighting it in gentoo.  The thinkpad 600 series use a non-standard pnp
implementation and that is part of the root cause of the difficulties
you are having.  what does lspnp -v return?? how about pnpdump?  do you
have isapnptools installed, personally I would recommend it.  Also for
whatever reason the alan-cox patched kernels do far far better with the
thinkpad 600's pnp implementation (it just seems to work), make sure you
enable the appropriate isapnp options in the kernel configuration.  With
the .9.8 alsa drivers after you get lspnp to work you may need to
manually turn this resource on.  If lspnp -v shows the card but does not
show it using any resources you may have to "turn on" the card.  In my
case I did:
setpnp 0e on
setpnp 0f on
setpnp 10 on
setpnp 11 on
Also you may need to disable ACPI in the kernel it wants to share irq 9
with the mpu401 (this may or may not be a big deal to you depending on
what you are using this for).  Finally when you do modprobe the cs4xxx
whatever make sure you pass all of the same parameters that are reported
under lspnp -v this may not be the same as it is in windows.  I am
hoping that the 2.6 kernel resolves this mess.  Getting alsa to work in
the 2.4.X kernels has become very complicated maybe this will get better
soon.  I know it's a step down but have you considered simply using the
OSS drivers in the kernel?  Is this simple to do in slackware?  I am not
familiar with slackware so I am not sure if this answers your
question...hopefully it will help :-) I am almost at my breaking point
with this personally.