[ltp] T30 goes dead on logout/restart/turn off

j_f_clark linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:13:12 -0400

At 12:28 PM 9/30/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 (Bamboo) on a T30 (2366-81g) and I face
>a big problem : I can't log out or even turn off the computer.
>Each time I try, the screen goes dead and then I have to hard-reboot. I
>found some post related to this issue on the "Mandrake Expert" but no
>solution was exposed.
>
>Can you help?
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Christophe Demez

Christophe:
Some more information like a description of your environment would be
helpful.  So assuming you are using KDE or Gnome and you have tried to use
the "logout" option on main menu, here are a couple of suggestions.

Open a terminal window. "su" and enter the command "shutdown -r (or -h) now".

Use ctrl-alt-F2 to get another session and login as root. You can check the
startup messages, etc.  You should also be able to shutdown.

Joe Clark