[ltp] Where can I find drivers for thinkpad 380D

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:20:29 -0400

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:25:08 -0700
"steven Lu" <xiao_hai_1999@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I installed a red hat linux 6.0 to my old IBM thinkpad 380D CPU 150M.
> But I have no idea where to find the sound, PCMCIA network card driver.
> I have no experience in linux but eager to learn it.

If this machine is similar to the 380XD, sound is provided with the cs4232
kernel driver.  ALSA works too, I think (but have never messed with it
since the kernel driver worked well enough).  PCMCIA support should "just
work" with any recent Linux distribution.

I'd install at least Red Hat 7.x if you're into Red Hat.  Heck, RH9 should
work fine, but you'll probably want a lighter WM/Desktop enviroment than
Gnome or KDE.

On my 380XD I have the Gnome panel running but not Nautilus.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/