[ltp] XFree86 Acceleration

Dan Borello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:59:26 -0500

Thanks to everybody for creating the pages with how to get X setup.  For
some reason I am having great difficulty do it.

I am running Debian SID.  I got X 4.3 from experimental debian
packages.  I have tried numerous times to get 3d acceleration going.

I am running 2.4.22-ac4.  I did not compile it with DRM support, just
agpart.  I then compiled the kernel module from source provided by the
package "xlibmesa-drm-src".  I was following the directions on:
http://www.terdmonk.com/thinkpad/#3daccel-update

The radeon module seems to load perfectly.

#dmesg |grep agp
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected Intel(R) 855PM chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000

#dmesg |grep drm
[drm] AGP 0.99 aperture @ 0xd0000000 256MB
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0 20020828 on minor 0
[drm] Loading R200 Microcode

I then start X.  Everything looks good in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

# cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log |grep rendering
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled

There are no errors in the log besides mouse errors (no usb mouse
plugged in).

The problem is that direct rendering is not enabled according to glxinfo
and glxgears gets around 150fps.

Has anybody else had these sorts of problems on debian?

As a side note:  I followed the directions on
http://dri.freedesktop.org/Software/DriTroubleshooting

At the buttom it suggests setting the env variable LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose.
When I do this and run glxinfo I get:

# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 4.0.1 r200 (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen failed: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so:
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen failed: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so:
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No

r200_dri does not exist.  I am not sure where it should come from.

Any insight is appreciated.

thanks,
dan borello