[ltp] Thinkpad R40e (2684-HVG)

Matthew Carey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:05:59 +0100

I have installed SuSE 8.2 Pro on this machine.

I have solved a couple of problems.

1. I had to get the installer to start in 1024X768 to get the display in
that resolution on the installed setup with the VESA driver.

SuSE support told me that that setting the line in the Grub config file
/boot/grub/menu.lst like this would also do this.

title linux
     kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317  splash=silent
showopts
     initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

The number after vga= is the crucial value.

2. I downloaded the bcm5700 driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme Fast
Ethernet PCI card built it from the tar file and installed it, also
setting the load kernel module setting in YaST2.

Now I would like to enable power management, get a proper driver for the
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon IGP 340M Graphics device and even get the
modem working.

The modem is: ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]

Anybody had any luck with these?

Matthew